The meander motif took its name from the river Meander, a river with many twists, mentioned by Homer in Iliad. The motif is also known as Greek key or Greek fret. Meander was the most important symbol in Ancient Greece, symbolizing infinity or the eternal flow of things. Many temples and objects were decorated with this motif, and it is considered that there is a connection with the Cretan labyrinth – indeed – a labyrinth can be drawn using a Greek key.
Meander symbolizes as well the bonds of friendship, of love and devotion and that’s the reason it’s often given as a marriage gift.
The importance in the identification of this motif can’t be understated; the Greek Keys are representative of their cultural use within Greek culture, from their architecture through to their obvious use in pottery. Their adaptation and dispersion throughout cultures is resonant of this; while the style itself can harken back to the natural world (consider it a depiction of the sea or two ribbons winding around to create an eternal concept), their adaptation is a reminder of a classical culture at the height of its enlightenment – culture, art, strength and sophistication are all resonant in the Greek Keys.
Embrace the infinite flow of life with this handmade box! It's hand carved and has intricate Meander patterns.
It's made from Mango Tree Wood which is eco-friendly for the following reasons:
– Responsible management of mango plantations adds to the sustainability of mango wood. Cut-down trees are immediately replaced, and only old, fruitless trees are harvested for wood.
– The use of mango wood prevents teak and other endangered woods from being harvested from the wild.
– Manufacturing of wood products provides additional revenue for mango farmers, supporting the local community.
– Overall deforestation is reduced by using domestic mango wood.
– Mango wood is relatively hard and dense and therefore very durable, requiring little to no maintenance.
– Using the mango wood from cut-down trees reduces carbon emissions, because the wood is not left to rot (rotting wood produces carbon dioxide).
This is very special and would make a lovely gift for a loved one, as it's perfect for storing personal, special items. The trinket box is especially ideal for pieces of jewelry as there is space to store your favourite pieces. It definitely makes a beautiful addition to one's home decoration, particularly if you appreciate handmade woodwork. Much effort and artistic energy has been put into the making of this piece and its positive energies will surely be passed on to the new owner.
The measurements are as follows:
If you have any questions feel free to ask!
Happy buying 🙂