With nearly three-quarters of the Earth covered by water, it’s little wonder that, centuries ago, the oceans were believed to contain many mysterious creatures, including sea serpents and mermaids. Merfolk (mermaids and mermen) are, of course, only the marine version of half-human, half-animal legends that have captured human imagination for ages.
Greek mythology contains stories of the god Poseidon, the merman messenger of the sea, and several modern religions, including Hinduism and Candomblé (an Afro-Brazilian belief), worship mermaid goddesses to this day.
In folklore, mermaids were often associated with good luck and fortune. In other legends — from Scotland and Wales, mermaids befriended, and even married, humans. There are many legends about mermaids and even a few dozen historical claims of real mermaid sightings.
Hundreds of years ago, sailors and residents in coastal towns around the world told of encounters with sea-maidens.
This beautiful handmade box has an art print of a mystical mermaid.
It’s made from Mango Tree Wood which is eco-friendly for the following reasons:
– Responsible management of mango plantations adds to the sustainability of mango wood. Cut-down trees are immediately replaced, and only old, fruitless trees are harvested for wood.
– The use of mango wood prevents teak and other endangered woods from being harvested from the wild.
– Manufacturing of wood products provides additional revenue for mango farmers, supporting the local community.
– Overall deforestation is reduced by using domestic mango wood.
– Mango wood is relatively hard and dense and therefore very durable, requiring little to no maintenance.
– Using the mango wood from cut-down trees reduces carbon emissions, because the wood is not left to rot (rotting wood produces carbon dioxide).
This is very special and would make a lovely gift for a loved one, as it’s perfect for storing personal, special items. The trinket box is especially ideal for pieces of jewelry as there is space to store your favourite pieces. It definitely makes a beautiful addition to one’s home decoration, particularly if you appreciate handmade woodwork.
Much effort and artistic energy has been put into the making of this piece and its positive energies will surely be passed on to the new owner.
The measurements are as follows:
15cm long (5.9 inches)
10cm wide (3.9 inches)
6.5cm high (2.6 inches)
If you have any questions feel free to ask!
Happy buying 🙂